Thursday, September 09, 2010

Show and Tell Friday!

Pin It Now!

It's time once again for Show and Tell Friday!  Where has this week gone??? 

This week it looks like I'm sharing my dog Beau but I also want to bring your attention to something I have in the background of this photo.  It's a mirror. I put it in my garden but have since removed it and I'm so glad I did. Kim, one of my readers told me her fence caught on fire and it was caused by a mirror in her neighbor's garden!  The sun rays bounced off the mirror and ignited a pile of leaves and then it spread up the fence.  I just wanted to warn everyone about this because I know it's really popular now to put mirrors in the garden!  I never really thought about that when I put mine out there.  I was more concerned about the glare of the sun hitting it and bothering my neighbors so I put it in the shade so that would happen. 

If you are joining in on Show and Tell Friday, please remember that your Show and Tell needs to be something from your home or garden. Please read the Show and Tell Guidelines for step-by-step instructions on how to participate. If you would like to join in, please enter your name and leave your exact Show and Tell blog post link, not just your blog link and as a common courtesy link back to my blog. If your link has been removed, please re-read over the guidelines before re-posting, or e-mail me with any questions. Thank you! 



Gardening in a Sandbox said...

I have heard that people have taken their mirrors down out of the garden because the birds were flying into them.

Tallulah's Antique Closet said...

What a cute pup Beau is. I also never really liked placing a mirror in the garden. For fear the birds would fly into the mirror and hurt them selves. Thank You for hosting today.....Julian

Anne Lorys said...

Wow Cindy, that's really something! I've never heard of such a thing, but I can see how it might happen.

Beau looks darling!

Have a wonderful Friday!

Sue said...

Now I would never have thought that this could happen! I like the look, but I guess you need to use one where there is only shade and there is no chance of anything happening. Thanks, once again, for hosting the party, Cindy! And Beau looks so sweet here, BTW.
~ Sue

HoosierHomemade said...

I would have never thought of that. Beau sure is a cutie!
Thanks so much for hosting!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Beau is adorable! I have heard of fires caused by mirrors outside. I wanted to put one in my courtyard several years ago, but decided it was not a good decision.
Thanks for hosting again this week. Enjoy your weekend.

Kelsie from Our Country Home and Studio Photography said...

How scary both the fire and the idea of the birds hitting it...I had thought it a lovely idea and planned to place one in my own garden...Now I won't...Thank you for the warning.


Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

I would have never thought of the mirror causing a fire. Good to know since I have been thinking of hanging one on our deck.
Hugs, Sherry

Olivia said...

Hello Cindy, thank you for the tip, I can see myself catching the whole neighborhood on fire over a shabby mirror. Giggle. Your doggie is darling.

Lenore said...

Now who would have ever thought the mirror would actually start a fire???
Beau is a real cutey!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Cindy! First, your doggie Beau is such a cutie! And...I do know that around here, the sun's reflection from windows was melting the neighbor's siding in a particular neighborhood! I guess it can be that powerful! Good idea to take it down. Too bad, though, because it really is pretty! Have a great weekend!...hugs...Debbie

Lindy said...

Such a cute pup...Thanks for hosting!!!

Kristi said...

Wow, I would have never have thought that! Good to know! And thank you for hosting the linky party :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the party Cindy!

I never would have thought about a mirror causing a fire! Wow thanks for sharing

bee blessed

Burlap Luxe said...

Cinday I knew the reflection could cause a fire like a magnifing glas they can reflect and create heat and start fires. This is why I wont hang wind chimes with clear glass or any type of glass objects in the yard due to the sunlight and the heat the glass will produce and start fires :0

The mirror in the shade or under a patio or veranda would be fine if direct sunlight is not reflecting off of it.

The Birds love to perch on the mirror and look into the mirros reflection at themselves, Just like the small mirrors they sale at pet stores for the birdcages.

Love an out doors garden mirror, so romantic.

Sarah said...

Cindy, what good advice. I've often worried about a magnifying glass that sits on a table in my living room. Sometimes the sun hits it. I think I need to move it asap. Thanks for hosting. ~ Sarah
Beau is precious!

Leanne said...

Thanks for hosting again. Have a great weekend.

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

"Beau is a real Cutie"!!! Thank you for that info on the mirrors, I never though of that!!!
Hugs to you, Donna

My Dream Canvas said...

Your pup is a real cutie :-)

Renée said...

This is one of my favorite parties. Love this little guys ears, he's adorable, and seems to know he's being shot!! Thanks for having me over, and have a great weekend.

Hootin Anni said...

Beau is just too adorable for words!!!!

Karen said...

Love your doggy!!
Thanks for warning people about the mirrors. There is another decorative item that is dangerous as well. They are very pretty glass pieces that are mounted on stands. The light bounces off of them and they glow and make beautiful designs on the table or walls. But the light and heat magnafies and can be damaging. They are sold in better stores in Mexico and import shops in the U.S.
I do love "Show and Tell Friday"!!
Have a great weekend.
Ladybug Creek

Biljana said...

Hi Cindy!
Beau looks cute, thanks for hosting:)
Greetings from Europe, Biljana

Sherry from Alabama said...

Beau is sure a cutie. Thanks for the heads-up on the mirror. Who would ever have thought one could be a potential fire hazard? I'm enjoying my visit to the other Show and Tell linkers this morning. I got mine posted late, but I guess it's better late than never.

Sherry @ A Happy Valentine

Elsie said...

Cindy thanks for warning others about the mirror. A lot of people
never think of things like that.
Love the picture of Beau,he is such
a handsome little fella. I bet I know who is head of that household.

Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} said...

A fire from a mirror?
Who knew?
Thanks for the warning!
Isn't Beau precious!
Give him a hug from me!
Thank you for the fun party!
SO SO SO many brilliant ladies out there!
Blessings to you, Cindy, as you make your home today!

Decor To Adore said...

Oh that handmade soap in the previous post is just divine!
May you have a blessed weekend!

Unknown said...

Holy Cow! I never would have thought that. Thanks for the heads up!


Sudha said...

loved the blog...i m all set to participate in the show and tell....count me in...:)


Nice to meet you & happy to have found you today and joined your party! I have round mirror outside on the patio of our small townhome - no birds or sun hitting it, but we do have five frogs that LOVE to antogonize our cat - Sephora. Everynight they line up around the perimter of the mirror, and my DH & I call them The Jackson Frogs...

Lovely blog - I'm your newest follower... Thanks for hosting.
:D Lynda

Lolly Jane said...

thank you for hosting! :)kelli

Sue Pinner said...

Can see how that would be a problem with lots of sunshine...not such a problem here in the uk
But definitely a good idea to remove for the birds sake
Great blog by the way only just found you
Suz x

Anonymous said...

I suck coz I only appear to be able to think of one joke and one joke alone...

Why did the plane crash into the house????