Thursday, August 08, 2013

Backyard Topiaries - Show and Tell Friday

Pin It Now!


Welcome to Show and Tell Friday!  I don't think I've ever shared my backyard topiaries on my blog before.  I've wanted to but they really don't photograph very well. They look much nicer in person.  I decided to just post them anyway!  The one above is about 5 feet tall!  I bought the topiary metal form on sale years ago at a garden shop that was going out of business and started it with a tiny little potted ivy plant. It took a couple years to fill in.  I think I've had this about 10 years now!


I had hopes for this impatiens topiary plant to fill in a little better but I think I need to plant some more impatiens in it!  It's grown a lot though. I only planted it about a month ago.  I picture this with a big ball of flowers on the top...we'll see if I can get that to happen!


This is a wreath shaped topiary that looks so much better in person than it does in this photo! I started this one from a small plant years ago!  I put a brick in the dirt so I could sit this concrete angel in it. 


I have a couple of these ball shaped ivy topiaries. This one is a single and I also have a double ball.  Every time I see these topiaries for sale in garden centers I'm shocked at how expensive they are. They are really easy to start, they just take a couple years to fill out.  You can see how big the vine is wrapped around the stem of the ball.  


Here's a new one I started.  You can see in this photo the type of form I use for these.  I planted impatiens in the bottom and the ivy is just starting to make it up to the ball on the top. I wrap the ivy around the pole and tie it place. Once it gets going you can remove the wire.


This one is my favorites though!  It looks really nice during the holidays when I put white lights on it! 


Thanks to all of you that join in on Show and Tell Friday every week and thanks to all of you who leave such nice comments!


If you are joining in on Show and Tell Friday, please remember that your Show and Tell needs to be something from your home or garden. If you would like to join in, please enter your name and leave your exact Show and Tell blog post link, not just your blog link and as a common courtesy link back to my blog.
[signature.gif]

36 comments:

GnomeLover said...

Thank you for hosting, Cindy! Your topiaries are gorgeous! Wow! You have an incredible green thumb!

Jenni

Jessie @ Dream and Differ said...

I love topiaries! Gorgeous! Thanks for hosting. :)

Unknown said...

Beautiful Topiaries!!!
Thanks so much for hosting another great one
Hugs from Montreal
Suzan

Sarah said...

Cindy, your topiaries are impressive. I don't have long term luck growing the ivy topiaries. They end up getting spider mites or heat stroke. The longest I kept one healthy was a couple of years. Topiaries are a favorite form for me, so I add them when I find some that will work. I've grown a few of my own too. Thanks for sharing this post. Loved seeing your beautiful topiaries.

Unknown said...

Love your topiaries! Thank you so much for hosting and blessings to you, Patti

Wendy@Once upon a rose haven said...

Hi Cindy,
Beautiful topiaries! Love the one with the angel ... so special!
Thank you for hosting! xo
~Wendy

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Cindy your topiaries are beautiful!! Thanks so much for hosting!

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

I adore ivy topiaries! My favorite foliage of all! Thanks for sharing them. Great simple tips too.

Carolyn said...

I love them-so pretty! I need to do this!!!

Thank you for hosting,
Carolyn

SwedishCorner ~ DownUnder...Pernilla said...

Thanks for hosting, Cindy! Your garden is lovely :) Greetings from Australia♥ ~Pernilla

Unknown said...

Your topiaries are so gorgeous!! I love them. Thank you so much for hosting. Happy Friday and have a wonderful weekend. :)

Kathy

curiositaellya said...

Hi Cincy,
Thank you so much for the party!

Ellya

Jen Beaudet said...

What a beautiful garden! I love the topiary!
Thanks so much for hosting the party Cindy! Have a great weekend:)
Jennifer

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Love your topiaries - so pretty!
Thanks bunches for hosting again this week.
Have a wonderful weekend.

Unknown said...

Hi Cindy, love your topiaries, shared my Pallet Potting Table and Tray! Thanks for hosting, have a great week!

Cindy@GlassSlipperRestorations.com

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

I love topiaries! Yours are awesome!

Tins and Treasures said...

Good evening, Cindy,
Your plants look so healthy! I always enjoy stopping by!!


Take care ~Natalie

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Your topiaries are wonderful Cindy! I've always wanted one of those, now I'm going to have to get one.
Does the ivy do okay in full sun or does it need a shady yard? Do you have to move it inside in the Winter?
Your garden with all the statues, flowers and topiaries is just gorgeous!
Thanks for hosting!
Gina

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathy said...

Hello Cindy, Love your garden topiaries - they look wonderful - the angel is sweet! I am delighted to join your party, I appreciate you hosting,
Kathy

Mindi@MyLove2Create said...

Beautiful topiaries! Thanks for hosting!

Poppy said...

Beautiful topiary vignettes, Cindy. Thanks for hosting!

Poppy

Katherines Corner said...

Wow! gorgeous topiaries my friend, you have done a terrific job. I'd love to have one on either side of my front door. Thank you for hosting xo

Heirloom treasures said...

How lovely Cindy. I must try some of these.I could just imagine them with pretty lights,I bet they are gorgeous. I do have a bay tree in a pot which I've trained as a topiary but not using one of those balls.

Peggy Thal said...

So beautiful! I just love any kind of topiary. Yours are quite amazing. The little angel one is darling. You have a green topiary thumb!

Christina Paul said...

These are lovely! I've been trying to grow my own for some time- Love how you perched the angel on a brick -so simple but so clever!

Curtains in My Tree said...

They are gorgeous however back here in Missouri they would die out in our hard cold winters
although my ivy comes back every spring that is in an outside flower garden
It's always nice to see your flowers of California

Cindy Logan said...

You have me itching now to go plant a topiary! Yours are so beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

Decor To Adore said...

Oh I adore topiaries! Thank you for hosting.

La Pansè di Mary said...

Your beautiful ivy, love the flowers impatens.
Have a nice weekend
Maria Grazia

Rebekah Greiman said...

It's been awhile! I've had a busy summer-but love that you are still doing your linky parties. I added a simple and delicious recipe for Roasted Zucchini Squash (#201). I hope you enjoy! (http://www.potholesandpantyhose.com/2013/08/delicious-easy-roasted-squash/)

Thanks so much!

Rebekah Greiman
www.potholesandpantyhose.com

Unknown said...

What a wonderful sanctuary you have!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Your topiaries are very beautiful!

LYNDA QUINTERO-DAVIDS said...

Great link-up! Loved the Pinterest & Social Media Tips plus #2's Updated Cottage Reveal (fantastic!)

Thanks again for hosting and have a fabulous weekend!

xo Lynda aka NYCLQ

Unknown said...

such a beautiful garden!

Savannah Granny said...

I so love your beautiful ivy topiaries. They are so lush!
Thank you so much for hosting, Ginger