Thursday, July 11, 2013

My Home in Summer - Show and Tell Friday

Pin It Now!


Welcome to Show and Tell Friday!  I almost named this post "My Summer Home" but that made it sound like I had a different home that I went to for the summer and that is not the case (one can only dream) so I changed the words around and named it "My Home in Summer"


The fact is, this is my little rented apartment decorated for summer....it's my make-believe summer cottage.  I must admit, as much as I would love to have a beautiful cottage, I'm very grateful that I have been able to turn a rented, 1969 unit in a 4-plex apartment complex with no quaint architectural details  into my "summer cottage".  You have to make the best with what you have and what you can afford!


I'm about a 30 minute drive away from the beach but that doesn't stop me from dreaming that I live overlooking the Pacific Ocean!  I live in my own fantasy world but I think that's what makes me a happy person!


The view below is looking down from my staircase. I remember posting a photo like this before and someone asked me if I took it standing on a ladder....  too funny!  No, I'm just standing on my staircase! (please excuse the wrinkled slipcovers, I had just put fresh ones on and it takes a couple days for the wrinkles to relax. I just don't have the time to iron them every time I change them)


This weekend I started cleaning house and next thing I knew I was bringing out every seashell I had and scattering them all over the downstairs rooms...


I like my home at Christmas and in the summer the best!  Right now, I think I like summer best. I'm sure when it's Christmas-time I will be thinking that is my favorite!



After I cleaned house and decorated with a million seashells I went outside and hacked the tree in my backyard so I could get more light in my apartment.  Now that it's in the 90s I'm sort of wondering if I should have done that! Sure it was darker but it was a lot cooler too!  



I love this old dresser that my former mother-in-law #2 gave me.  Yes I have 2 ex-mother-in-laws and they are both great!  Thank you Judy!


I moved the big birdcage I had next to this dresser up on to the landing at the bottom of the staircase, which you can see in the photo below and moved the wicker cart next to the dresser (above).  It always feels so fresh to make little changes like this!






After I cleaned and decorated with shells I went out to my tiny yard and picked flowers!


...and put together some pretty bouquets!  It's amazing the difference that little bouquets scattered all around make!  




My favorites...roses and hydrangeas...





Thanks to trimming that huge tree in my backyard, I have lot's of light now...


Before I trimmed that tree, my place was dark and depressing. I need lots of light!  It makes me happy!



As I look at these photos I remember all the things that I've done over the last 10 years that I've lived here! Everything was done on a budget. My dining room table came from the Salvation Army and it was only $125. My entertainment armoire from Craigslist was about $100. My coffee table was a hand-me-down. Sure, they needed a lot of elbow grease and white paint but I hardly remember that now!  

My slip-covered sofa was a steal from Ikea (and yes I still love it 4 years later), my white slip-covered Ikea chairs were from Craigslist.  Most of my accessories are from thrift stores, flea market and Marshalls. The shutters over my sofa I found on the curb in front of someone's home with a "Free" sign posted on them. It's really amazing how it has all come together for little money! I couldn't have afforded it all at once, but over time, little by little I've made my little rental apartment into my "beach cottage".  

On my to-do list this summer...I want to paint my coffee table a french blue.  I'm wondering if I should use chalk paint?  I would love to hear from any of you that have used it before.  I really am not looking forward to stripping the paint and I've heard that is not necessary with chalk paint so I would love some feedback on this!  With all the furniture I've painted in my place, I'm so not into it any longer but I also want it to look good! I need your feedback!



Thanks to all of you that join in on Show and Tell Friday every week and thanks to all of you who leave such nice comments!



If you are joining in on Show and Tell Friday, please remember that your Show and Tell needs to be something from your home or garden. If you would like to join in, please enter your name and leave your exact Show and Tell blog post link, not just your blog link and as a common courtesy link back to my blog.


[signature.gif]

55 comments:

Susan Freeman said...

Your apartment is very charming and very YOU! I think it's wonderful that you decorate to please yourself, which is what I believe we all should do rather than be a slave to whatever the current trend is. And by the way, I sure do love that dresser!

Big Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

Sarah said...

Cindy, those pretty blooms in the aqua Ball jar make me want to go buy some for my aqua Ball jars. It's all lovely. Enjoy your summer.

Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel Vintage said...

Thanks so much for hosting the party!

Unknown said...

I have to find some aqua bell jars - they look gorgeous - your entire space is gorgeous actually - every last detail
Thanks for hosting -
Hugs,
Suzan

Karen said...

Cindy your home is so pretty. My trees make my home very dark too. Your white with pretty pops of color brighten everything up just right. Thanks for hosting and have a great weekend.

Andrea at Opulent Cottage said...

Everything looks so beautiful and fresh! I am decorating an apartment now too, our daughter's college apartment! I saw how some of those poor kids had to live and really there's just no reason for them to have awful apartments. We have spent almost nothing but her place will be great. Thanks for such wonderful inspiration, I really love seeing your pretty home!

The Shabby Chicas said...

Hi Cindy--I started painting furniture about 5 years ago with latex paint and spent A LOT of time sanding and on prep work. THEN I discovered chalk paint (by Annie Sloan). I know you are busy staying fit, working full time (like I do) and spending time with your beau but chalk paint will allow you to paint 1 or 2 pieces in one day! It comes in quarts and is about $38 or so. So, some people think that is pricey but with the TIME SAVINGS - it is absolutely, positively worth it!! And, the quart goes a long way. I will never go back to latex paint as long as chalk paint is available. Checkout our Facebook page to see some of our projects: The Shabby Chicas located at Homestead Handcrafts. My sisters and I love it!!! You will be hooked and want to repaint everything! Can't wait to see what you create!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Your home is beautiful, Cindy! Thanks for hosting!...hugs...Debbie

Carolyn said...

Hi Cindy,
I always enjoy seeing your home-you have done such a good job decorating it!

Thank you for hosting,
Carolyn

Unknown said...

thanks for hosting the party! always get lots of inspiration here! have a great night!

Sandy said...

It's always a treat to walk through your lovely cottage home Cindy! Thanks for showing it to us. And your new wood floor is beautiful.

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Your home is so lovely Cindy and the way you presented all the details a visual treat. Thank you for such a wonderful sharing as well as hosting Show and Tell Friday.
Joy

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

So beautiful!!!

Unknown said...

I have always admired your home. I am a believer that home is what/ where we make it. An apartment or a palatial home... it is what we do that makes it a home. I luv yours and all the beautiful personal touches. $$ doesn't make it home. Luv does.
Just beautiful. Luv your tiny yard as well :-)
Hugs, Gee

Rachel Paxton said...

Thanks for the party, Cindy!

Rachel @ Maison de Pax

curiositaellya said...

Your home is so beautiful! Thank you for hosting. I see you next week.

Ellya

Poppy said...

Hi Cindy,

You've done a beautiful job of decorating your 'beach' house, very feminine and charming!

Thanks so much for hosting!

Poppy

SwedishCorner ~ DownUnder...Pernilla said...

Thanks for the party, Cindy! Your home is very light and pretty. Beautifully decorated - perfect for Summer! Subtropical winter greetings from Australia♥ ~Pernilla

CEM MANIAS said...

Nesta casa apeteçe sonhar! É maravilhosa! Parabéns e obrigada por partilhar comigo!

Miss Jane said...

Hi Cindy! Your photos are gorgeous!:)
I'will be your next blog followers. Thank you for hosting a party that allows to share our blogs.
Greetings from Italy!:)

Mindi@MyLove2Create said...

Thank you for the party!

Pennyblossoms said...

I love your home any time of the year, it's beautiful!
Z xx

Peggy Thal said...

Love your pretty home. It looks so cool and inviting. Your little dog is too cute sitting in the chair relaxing. All your seashells make for beautiful summer decor. I just got mine out for a table scape. If you want a quick wrinkle out , get a steamer. I just love mine and use it on everything. It is so worth it. Thanks for sharing your home. You did a beautiful job decorating.

Christine said...

So pretty!!!!

Thanks so much for the wonderful party!

Jo Ann said...

Hi, Cindy...I love your apartment! I, too, love chalk paint but its so expensive. I read a post from You're Talking Too Much about using Valspar Ultra Super flat paint (it has to be the super flat) and it works great and is a lot cheaper..about $13. a quart. If the surface is bad we will lightly sand but that's it for the prep work and it distresses beautifully!!!

Heirloom treasures said...

Cindy, your home is stunning. Love it and all the sea shells.:)

Unknown said...

By all means, use chalk paint! It's wonderful, and easy!! Love your gorgeous home! Just beautiful!

Diane said...

You have the prettiest home and your garden is just as lovely! I have yet to work with Anne Sloan chalk paint but hear only good things about it. I have several projects in my home that could use a new look and I think that ASCP will do the trick. Good luck with your paint projects, make sure you post them for us to take a peek! Diane

Madonna/aka/Ms Lemon of Make Mine Lemon said...

Thank so much for hosting and letting me join in. You have such a lovely home. Those roses and hydrangea are perfect.

This N That said...

Just beautiful Cindy..Lots of love went in to that...

Noble Vintage said...

I just love your home! so beautifully done on a budget. Totally in love with your wicker cart....I am going to have to keep my eyes peeled for one of those! ;)
thanks for hosting, have a great weekend!

El mundo de PADI said...

Me encantó tu casa!!!, muy buena idea lo de podar el árbol, se ve hermosa con tanta luz!!, que tengas un hermoso fin de semana.Besos

Victoria said...

I'm SO excited to see your little nest again Cindy! You were the first blog I discovered and, being an apartment dweller myself, you inspired me! I never knew I could have white lovely furniture on a budget:)

Sara Chapman said...

Cindy, those pink roses are spectacular. I want some just like that. With your gorgeous hydrangeas, I just love the way they look. And I am in awe of white slipcovers. You must live alone or with very, very clean visitors.

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Your home is gorgeous - so light, bright, airy and summery! ♥ it!!

I love using chalk paint. It covers all sorts of things with very little effort.

Jen Beaudet said...

You are so good at decorating on a budget! I could really learn something from you:) I love the bouquet in the aqua jar! Perfect!
Thanks so much for hosting your party Cindy!
Jennifer
beaudetart.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

So pretty, this reminds of my loft I had in Chicago. It was all shabby chic and lots of seashells, even if I just lived close to a big lake. LOL

Gwendolyn said...

Hi Cindy, The chalk paint is easy to use. My favorite is Annie Sloan, and you can buy the paint online or in Willow Glen at Magpie on Lincoln Ave. They have a beautiful French blue Annie Sloan paint. So much easier than the old strip and sand!
have fun.
Sincerely,
Miranda

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I love your home, my friend...so very romantic and with such lovely and beautiful details. I love, love that dresser! Thanks for hosting too. Enjoy your summer weekend.
FABBY

Monica said...

Cindy - you should use Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint - she has a couple gorgeous blues that would look great in your living room! I just love your apartment!

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Wow Cindy, you really have a party going on here!
Your Summer decorated Cottage is so beautiful! You make me want to get out my seashells and decorate. I know what you mean about doing the best with what you've got, that's what I have to do with my 1989 house to make it seem more like an 1889 house.
Thanks for sharing your cottage with us, I really enjoyed it. Have a great weekend and thanks for hosting.
Gina

Darlene said...

Hi Cindy, I loved seeing your home all ready for summer. I love ASCP and have use it on everything. I painted my kitchen island duck egg blue, it had a lacquer finish so I scuffed it up a little with sandpaper, applied two coats of ASCP and then used ASCP clear wax. It has been six months and it still looks great, I was concerned that the paint would not stay on the lacquer but all is great!

Darlene said...

Hi Cindy, I loved seeing your home all ready for summer. I love ASCP and have use it on everything. I painted my kitchen island duck egg blue, it had a lacquer finish so I scuffed it up a little with sandpaper, applied two coats of ASCP and then used ASCP clear wax. It has been six months and it still looks great, I was concerned that the paint would not stay on the lacquer but all is great!

Home Chic Club said...

Thanks so much for hosting the party!
Have a lovely weekend!
Blessings,
Vesna

Anonymous said...

Cindy your home is dreamy and feminine and just LoVeLy!!!
Thank you for sharing and hosting all the beauty!
Happy weekend,
Paulette

Curtains in My Tree said...

Your apartment has always been really shabby chic cute

I love finding an inexpensive piece of furniture to use in my house and love painting it

Lady of the Woods said...

oh I am seeing this late, but I am so glad I saw it at all! You are a woman after my very soul! I could die in that apartment! apartment? wow, you did so very very well. And I am with gratitude to you for that post on the shells and candles in silver tray! How beautiful was that! But for paint, yes Annie Sloans I have used and no stripping, just slap it on lolol, and their colors are delicious you would love them, I hear duck egg blue or louis blue are beautiful with a white pallete or even Paris grey...would be lovely.....yes, easy, and dries quick. I love love love this blog!

Lee Caroline - A World of Inspiration said...

I understand what you mean about light, your room looks fabulous and definitely light filled. I am renovating two rooms in my house, I am turning my prior painting studio into a bedroom (its proper use) and decorating a small dark room as a home office and to paint in. Naturally it is not going to work well so I've decided to try a solar tube which apparently is a very economical way to bring light in. Other than that I will have to put in a much larger window, so hoping it will work.

I absolutely love your display of shells by the way, they are really beautiful.

Thank you for sharing your home. I had nothing to link up Friday but plenty for me to look at here :)

Lee :)

Unknown said...

To live a better life without any problems in www.weblivexperts.com to get help from these experts.

Unknown said...

To have a good and best results service in the internet visit www.krazy99.com to get the complete software problems is end here and get anything in just $0.99 cent.

Admin said...

That's really great post, great thought and excellent designs. I really appreciate this beautiful art and I am surely going to apply it.SAP Calculations

Unknown said...

Reminds me of some fairy tale movie. the furniture looks heavenly to say the least. Would make great home staging furniture.

FlyAwayHome said...

Hi Cindy, I love your apartment. I too am a beach lover and add beachy touches to my home even though I am 1/2 mile from any beach. Why not just paint over the existing paint on your coffee table instead of stripping? You could then sand it a bit in the areas that would normally show ware and show the previous paint peeking through in those areas. Or sand a bit further to show some of the wood and wax over the table. Just my two cents....

Anonymous said...

Ha! Love the doggie photobomb! So many cool pieces, particularly the painted cabinet. Looks great. asbestos removal Anaheim CA

Terrie said...

Beautiful!! Are you a professional decorator? If not you should be.