Thursday, April 26, 2007

Herbs

Pin It Now!


When my son was younger we lived in a house on 3 acres. It was great because we had enough room for a big vegetable garden. My son who was 10 years old at the time became interested in growing herbs. He's always been the type of kid (and still is) that becomes very passionate about what he's interested in at the moment. He would spend his own money buying books on herbs and he learned many of their medicinal uses (lavendar for headaches, etc). Because of his passion I became interested in herbs also. Before this, I wouldn't have been able to tell one herb from another. My daughter never grew her own herbs but she does know a lot. One day she and I were sitting in the backyard. I think she was 11 at the time. She commented on how good the basil smelled. I was shocked that she knew what basil was. We played a little game where I picked some different herbs we had growing and then I blindfolded her and she smelled the herb and tried to guess what it was. She got all of them correct except one (thyme). I never taught her this but she was always in the kitchen with me while I was cooking so she must have just picked this up on her own. I was truly amazed.
I have a very small patio area now so I grow my herbs in pots. A strawberry pot with the pockets works great. I have chives in the top of mine and Italian parsley, oregano, thyme in the pockets. I also have a rosemary wreath. I have other pots with basil and mint.
My favorite herbs are rosemary and basil. Here is a great recipe for Rosemary Focaccia http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/106275 I bake mine in a stoneware pan (Pampered Chef Large Bar Pan) It is so good!
Do you have a favorite herb?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definately lavender. My mom still lives in Half Moon Bay lavender grows profusly in her backyard. She makes lovely lacey sachets filled with Lavender. I hang them in my craft room and closets. Every once in a while I give the sachets a little squeeze or shake and the it releases the lavender scent. An eye bag (like those used in yoga classes) filled with flax seed and lavender buds is very soothing. Cheerio, Esther Sunday

Farmgirl Cyn said...

So many herbs...so many favorites! Rosemary for sure...love my rosemary roasted potatoes, basil I just simply love...pesto is the best...lavender in anything, but especially in candles or cleaning products, and thyme...just because!

Lori said...

I just wanted to say how much I love visiting your blog. It is one that I go to every day and absolutely love the way you decorate. I am starting my own blog and would love for you to visit. Be patient, it is a slow learning process for this "okie".
Please visit me at okiecottagebliss.blogspot.com

Lori

Nicole said...

Your herbs are really coming along well! Have you ever tried trailing rosemary or trailing thyme? Both can be tucked around other annuals and then cascade down the sides of the pot in a really pretty way. Gorgeous weather in Monterey is forecast for this weekend, and I plan to get out in the garden and replant my pots!!!

Rosemary said...

I love herbs too! I have lavender and Rosemary in my yard. Rosemary is my favorite, since my name is Rosemary. There is a place we go to lunch sometimes, and they have the best lavender lemonade.
I will be trying your recipe soon.
Thanks!
http:/rosespetitemaison.blogspot.com

Janelle said...

I absolutely love growing herbs--I just planted a few new ones this afternoon. I don't know why, but they give me more pleasure than growing flowers does.

I am in love with thyme--I have several different varieties in my garden. I love how it spreads and pokes through the rock wall.

But for smell, my fave would have to be spearmint. My grandma had tons of it growing around the old well in the backyard, and it's one of those "instant childhood" smells.

Unknown said...

Herbs are a passion of mine with lavender, rosemary and sage being some of my favorites! They really are magical plants! Great photos!

Anonymous said...

Fresh herbs are the best! I don't think herbs are half as hard to grow as veggies. I have a pot on my deck, outside my kitchen that has basil, lemon thyme, oregano and sage in it. Then I have separate pot with rosemary that I've had for years. I edged some of my cottage garden with parsley last year and was surprised that it's still there and green!

Manuela

Anonymous said...

Fresh herbs are the best! I don't think herbs are half as hard to grow as veggies. I have a pot on my deck, outside my kitchen that has basil, lemon thyme, oregano and sage in it. Then I have separate pot with rosemary that I've had for years. I edged some of my cottage garden with parsley last year and was surprised that it's still there and green!

Manuela

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the Basil and Rosemary but Lavender, chives are the ones I use most often but like you I have pots on my patio with lots and lots of herbs. Whatever I can cram in the pots. Love you blog you are fantastic with your ideas.

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

Ilove the names of herbs, Rosemary, thyme, they all sound so pretty.
I think that herbs on the porch are very accessable and make it easier to remember to use them. Mine are too far away from the kitchen.

Also, I enjoyed your inspiration play houses. (not that elegant!) I have one myself, and have loved playing in it. Glad we did it, and it is worth waiting and planning for.