Thursday, January 09, 2014

Seashell Wreath Tutorial - Show and Tell Friday

Pin It Now!


Welcome to Show and Tell Friday!  I've been busy looking for a new apartment and also organizing some things around here in preparation for the move next month. I still haven't decided where I will be living but I'm getting closer!  Since my life is so hectic right now I will probably be sharing some old content for the next few weeks.  This week I decided to rerun my seashell wreath tutorial!


I've made a few of these and they are really fun and easy to make!



I've also used this same method to make wreaths with old buttons.

To make the wreath, you will need a styrofoam wreath form, ribbon or strips of muslin, shells or buttons (lots of them!) and a hot glue gun.
The first step is to wrap the ribbon around the wreath form and secure it a few times with a dab of hot glue here and there. For my button wreaths I ripped strips of muslin fabric and used that to wrap around the styrofoam. Either works fine because you won't really see it once you're finished.
The next step is to hot glue the shells (or buttons) on. Very easy just time consuming! Make sure the shells are going in different directions. I first added shells to the top and then added them to the inside and outside rim. Then I added small shells in the gaps to fill it in. I finished off my adding more shells on top to give it dimension. Make sure when you are gluing the shells on that you have it sitting on a flat surface so you know the shells won't get glued on to deep on the back or it won't lay flat against the wall when you go to hang it.



To hang it you can just add a ribbon. If you prefer you can twist a piece of florist wire around the wreath and twist it at the top to make a little loop. Do this before you start adhering the shells so it will be hidden underneath them.
 

I also wanted to share a photo of my son and daughter from over the holidays!  My son lives about 2 hours away so I don't get to see him as often as I would like!  We were having coffee and French Macarons in a cute little French bakery in Redwood City, California.  I've always wanted to make some French Macarons. I may try this Martha Stewart recipe for French Macarons once I get settled in my new apartment.  If anyone has another good recipe, please let me know!


Thanks to all of you that join in on Show and Tell Friday every week and thanks to all of you who leave such nice comments! 



 If you are joining in on Show and Tell Friday, please remember that your Show and Tell needs to be something from your home or garden. If you would like to join in, please enter your name and leave your exact Show and Tell blog post link, not just your blog link and as a common courtesy link back to my blog. 
[signature.gif]

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome wreath! Thanks for hosting every week Cindy!! Fun party as always. :)

Sarah said...

Cindy, the wreath is lovely. Thanks for the tutorial.

Cottage and Broome said...

I love the wreath! So nice that to see a snap of your son and daughter, hope you had fun with them during the holidays. Thanks for hosting, Laura

Poppy said...

Thanks for hosting, Cindy! Lovely wreath!

Poppy

Athena at Minervas Garden said...

I love your seashell wreath, Cindy--very pretty! Thank you for hosting the party, and here's to a happy New Year for you in a new home :)

Unknown said...

Almost all are beautiful, especially coordinate colors, so classy. I think most "designer" rooms are over done. I like clean and simple. I love sophisticated furniture and decor.<modern house design

Anonymous said...

That shell wreath is beautiful, I just might have to make one. Good luck with the move. -Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

Christine said...

LOVE the wreath!!

Have a great weekend. :)

Noelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Curtains in My Tree said...

I may try the shell wreath this summer when I can get outside again, I have plenty of shells
your kids are good looking

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Happy New Year Cindy! Cute wreath, I like anything made of shells.
Thanks for hosting,
Gina

Unknown said...

Thank you for hosting, Cindy. Hope your new year is starting out beautifully!

Scribbler said...

I have been meaning to do one of these wreaths for a long time.

Good luck with your apt search.

May I say that you have two very good-looking children! I know you are very proud of them.

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Thanks for hosting! Hope you find a lovely apartment! Happy 2014! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Nancy's Notes said...

What a wonderful wreath! Thank you for sharing the tutorial, it's tops! I believe I'll be joining your party, be back soon!

Nancy

Heirloom treasures said...

Cindy you have such beautiful children. You must be very proud.
I have had this tutorial on my to do list for so long, and now you have given me the nudge to do it. Thanks and good luck with the house hunting. :)

kelly said...

beautiful blog cindy~ i love that shell wreath! thanks so much for hosting and best of luck finding your new home!

kelly @ cowboys daughter design

Ali @ Jamhands.net said...

Thanks so much for the party :)

Barb S said...

What a nice picture of your son and daughter! Our son lives 9 hours from us so we don't get to see him much either!
I am really anxious to hear about and see your new apartment. Best of luck moving!
Thanks for sharing every week!