Thursday, April 25, 2013

A day in Carmel, California and Food Galore! - Show and Tell Friday

Pin It Now!


Welcome to Show and Tell Friday!  I'm breaking my own rules this week and not sharing something from my home and garden. Rules are meant to be broken so if you feel the need to break my rule, please feel free to do so!  

I'm hardly home these days but I am out enjoying life!  When I started my blog I was a single mom and I spent most of my time at home. Now that my youngest is going to be 21 in December and she's hardly home I'm out enjoying this wonderful time in my life! Lucky for me I met a great man that I love spending time with.  Last Sunday we went to Carmel for the day. If you ever come to Northern California, Carmel is a place you should visit! I feel so fortunate that I live so close to this wonderful place!


I'm sort of doing this post backwards so this is the beach where we laid out blanket after we ate lunch. Over in the distance you can see the Pebble Beach golf course.  It was a beautiful day and although it's only April it felt like summer! 


We took a walk down the beach towards the golf course and of course I had to take a photo of this gorgeous home!  I forgot my camera so I took all these photos with my iphone.


Before our time on the beach we had lunch in "Carmel by the Sea" at Casanova! What a great restaurant!  I had this amazing seafood dish with pesto!  (click on those hyperlinks for more information).  We had a wonderful day in Carmel and I'm sure we will be going back later this summer and next time I will bring my camera and take more photos of the amazing little cottages there. "Little" cottage that cost millions! lol It's a very expensive area as far as real estate goes!



On our way to Carmel we stopped at Phil's Fish Market and had our favorite Bloody Marys!  These are like a meal in themselves! Phil's is a famous restaurant and has been featured on Throwdown with Bobby Flay on the Food Network.  Click on those links to watch...but here's the spoiler... Phil's Fish Market won! I haven't tried the cioppino there yet but their clam chowder is really good! Next time I'm ordering the cioppino!  Oh, and those Bloody Marys are bloody good!



Like I said I'm doing this post backwards!  The day before we went to Carmel, last Saturday night, I made the recipe that I shared with you last week but this time I did half scallops and half prawns and served it over fresh pasta! You know a recipe is great when you make it two weeks in a row! My daughter is even making it tonight for her boyfriend! It's that good!  If you make it add extra garlic! I didn't do that this time and it wasn't quite as good.  


Back in time again, on Friday night Allen took me to a great Greek restaurant in Los Gatos called Opa!  As you can tell I love seafood! I had prawns and scallops here too! It was so good!


Before we had our entree Allen ordered the flaming cheese appetizer and this it! Yep, I was very impressed with this! When they ignite it, they yell "OPA"!  So much fun! It was soooo good!


Since I met Allen I've been eating like a QUEEN!  He loves fine food and he has been wining and dining me!  If you've been reading my blog for awhile you know that over the last few years I've dropped almost 80 lbs and here I am eating all this food! Luckily I've been able to maintain my weight and this is my secret! I eat healthy during the week and I hit the gym!  This is the shot of the treadmill....I run jog for one hour and burn 520 calories! It's hard but so worth being able to eat all this wonderful food and still maintain my weight!  


Before I leave, I'll share one of the most famous things in Carmel. The Lone Cypress on the 17 mile drive.  Ahhh such a beautiful site! I feel so fortunate to be so close to this wonderful area!  Next time I visit I'll take my camera and photograph the wonderful cottages there. I've written about them before on my blog so you can do a search on my search bar to see more!

My words of wisdom....Get out and enjoy life to the fullest! 




Thanks to all of you that join in on Show and Tell Friday every week and thanks to all of you who leave such nice comments!

If you are joining in on Show and Tell Friday, please remember that your Show and Tell needs to be something from your home or garden. If you would like to join in, please enter your name and leave your exact Show and Tell blog post link, not just your blog link and as a common courtesy link back to my blog.
[signature.gif]

41 comments:

Jessie @ Dream and Differ said...

Gorgeous! I've always wanted to visit Carmel. Looks like you've been having a lot of fun lately! Thanks for hosting!

Christine said...

Looks like you both had a MARVELOUS time!!

Susan Freeman said...

This man is a keeper! He wines and dines you and treats you like a queen. I am so happy for you and how wonderful to find this happiness now.

Big Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

Diane | An Extraordinary Day said...

I've never been to California and you're making it look really appealing!! Glad you're having fun and living life to the full!!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

What a beautiful setting, and the food looks delicious. Thanks for hosting.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Wow! Beautiful scenery, yummy food and yes from the looks of the bloody Mary I would make a meal of it also. Thanks for sharing our wonderful trip with us.
Thanks for hosting again this week - appreciate what you do.

Trish - Mom On Timeout said...

Carmel is so beautiful and the food looks amazing! Thanks so much for hosting!

Stampin' VMG206 said...

So pretty and the food looks divine! It looks like a great vacation. Thanks for sharing ~ and for hosting today, Cindy.
~ Megin of VMG206
Tile Photo Coasters ~ Gift Idea

Connie@shabbyforsure said...

Hi Cindy, Looks like you had a wonderful time. Thanks for hosting this party...Connie

Granna said...

My husband and I visited Carmel a couple of years ago and fell in love with it. I adore the Hugh Comstock cottages and there is a map available at the Visitor's Center that shows the location of each one. Sounds like you are really enjoying life!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing pictures from your fun trip! Sounds like you are having a wonderful time, you deserve it :) Thank you for hosting Cindy!

xo, Tanya
twelveOeight

Christine at Little Brags said...

THanks for hosting Cindy

Melissa@daisymaebelle.com said...

Thanks for another great party! Life to the full! Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Glad that your having a wonderful time, thanks for hosting!

Unknown said...

Oh how I love Carmel. My hubby & I spent our honeymoon there twenty years ago this June. We ate at Clint Eastwood's restaurant, rode horses at Big Sur, and so much more. It was fabulous. You ARE lucky to leave nearby. Thank you for sharing your beautiful pics and for hosting this party! Blessings, Patti

Jamie-So Much Better With Age said...

Thanks so much for hosting! Have a great time ;)
Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

Vel Criste said...

first time joining your party, thank you for hosting and the lovely tour, never been to Carmel and everything looks divine!

Unknown said...

What a great road trip!
Thank you for hosting. :)

~Liz

Madonna/aka/Ms Lemon of Make Mine Lemon said...

This was a fun post. Like a mini virtual vacation. Thanks for hosting and letting me join in.

Poppy said...

Hi Cindy,

What a fun time you must have had in Carmel! With that gorgeous white home, delicious Greek food and endless beach, you could have been in Greece!!:)

Thanks for hosting!

Poppy

Anonymous said...

Looks like a beautiful place to visit... thanks for hosting!

Anonymous said...

My family has lived in Carmel since the 1920's. Its a special place. Thanks for a lovely post of many places we love. Our home is over on Scenic with a lovely view. We have a rule we never eat out in Carmel due to the extraordinary cost but we love it all the same

Anonymous said...

Looks like a wonderful visit. Thanks for hosting and affording me an opportunity to link up!

Curtains in My Tree said...

OPA

I love greek food and I haven't lost any more weight I have gained back all I lost, 65 lbs !!! I know what a sin , just cant stay focused in life enough to keep it off I CRAVE sugar

I need a boyfriend LOL

This N That said...

I visited Carmel long ago..Beautiful..I had to pin "The Lone Cypress".

Unknown said...

thanks for hosting this party! I appreciate the opportunity to share! Have a great day!

Jeannie and Linda said...

Wow Cindy, it looks like you had a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing the beautiful scenery with us. So glad you are enjoying this time of your life. I remarried in 2008 at age 56 and life just keeps getting better and better!
Thanks for hosting the party and have a great weekend (take photos!).
Peace,
Linda and Jeannie at The French Hens Nest

Pamela said...

Don't you just love living in N. California. We have it all within driving distance, beautiful mountains, lovely beaches and even the desert. Not discounting the lush Central Valley either.

Unknown said...

Hello there! Thank you for this party! OOOOH - that seafood looks amazing! :)

nancy@skinnykitchen said...

I love your photos of Carmel Cindy!
Thanks for hosting each week.
All the best,
Nancy

My Cozy Casita said...

Beautiful place Peninsula Monterey
and 17 miles are the must beautiful driving on the Pacific Cost we been there. For me California is the must beautiful states in US, I live for 1 1/2 year and was wonderful we miss Ca so much,
Cindy This man is a keeper enjoy your life Im happy for you.
Blessing
Isora
XO

Unknown said...

Thanks for hosting!

Heirloom treasures said...

Good for you,life is too short to stagnate. Wonderful place and the food,well my goodness what a feast. x

Tommie Jo said...

Oh, those dishes and drinks look delicious! I LOVE seafood pastas (with garlicky olive oil or creamy sauces...oh my!). It sounds like so much fun! Enjoy the heck out of life! AND enjoy this weekend!~TJ

Suz said...

Great photos from your camera! Have been trying to get to Carmel.

Jeannie and Linda said...

Cindy, Everything looks so beautiful and delicious. I love the ocean, you must have had a great day. Makes me long for home. Great pictures by the way.
Jeannie

Jeannie and Linda said...

Cindy, Everything looks so beautiful and delicious. I love the ocean, you must have had a great day. Makes me long for home. Great pictures by the way.
Jeannie

Karen @ A Stylish Interior said...

Thank you for hosting! I really enjoyed your post about Carmel, as we are going there this Summer. I love bloody mary's and will have to check that place out! Hope you like my "Bar Armoire" link up!

Theresa @ Shoestring Elegance said...

Hi, Cindy!! Thank you..Thank you!!! For all the support and Inspiration over the past year!! And, of course for your awesome Show and Tell Party!! You got some great Pics of Carmel and seem like a very lucky Lady!!
Hugs and Blessings,
~Theresa

Libby said...

Cindy:
Re. #265...I put my own name in the title by mistake! Can you correct it?
The post title should be : Living Room Before & After
Thank you!
I was in Carmel just this time two years ago and yes, it is gorgeous!

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Hi Cindy,
What a day you had! The beautiful beach and that exquisite looking food! Yum!
Thanks so much for hosting!
Gina