Thursday, August 22, 2013

Zucchini Boat Recipe - Show and Tell Friday

Pin It Now!


Welcome to Show and Tell Friday!  I've seen different versions of these zucchini boats all over Pinterest and Facebook and since they look so healthy I've been wanting to make them and I finally got around to doing it!  Rather than use someone else's recipe I decided to just make my own version up because I wanted to use a lot of one of my favorite ingredients....BASIL!


See that tube in the photo above? I'm addicted to this stuff! It's Gourmet Garden Basil Paste.  I buy a tube of this stuff about every two weeks and use it in so many different things! You can find it in the produce section.  They have lots of different herbs and herb blends available but I've only tried the basil so far. 

You can see in the photo above all the ingredients I used. Fresh zucchini, chopped garlic (I used the kind in the jar), shredded skim milk mozzarella, Gourmet Garden Basil Paste, fresh basil (from my garden), red pepper flakes and salt and pepper, and some grape or cherry tomatoes (which I forgot to include in the photo)


First you half the zucchini length-wise and scoop out the middle to make a boat. I also sliced of a little of the bottom so they would be more stable on the baking sheet. Then salt and pepper.


Next I added some fresh garlic and squeezed on the basil paste and spread it out.


Then just top with some shredded mozzarella, halved grape tomatoes and some red pepper flakes.  You can add some Parmesan cheese on top but I didn't have any.  Bake in a 350 degree of for about 20 minutes and then put under the broiler for a minute or two to brown the cheese a little.


Remove from the oven and top with fresh basil. 


These would be wonderful with some grilled chicken. I had a big lunch the day I made these so I just had 3 of these for dinner! They were amazing!  I think the basil paste really made a difference! I love that stuff!  They should be paying me for all the free advertising they are getting! Haha  I think next time I make this I will mix a little of the basil paste with some olive oil and drizzle it over the top. I thought of doing that but wanted to keep the calorie count down.

Some of the other things I use the basil paste in:  Omelets with tomatoes and cheese, marinades, chicken, mixed with olive oil and brushed on grilled kabobs, pasta, garlic bread, veggie pita pizzas... I could go on and on...


Thanks to all of you that join in on Show and Tell Friday every week and thanks to all of you who leave such nice comments!


If you are joining in on Show and Tell Friday, please remember that your Show and Tell needs to be something from your home or garden. If you would like to join in, please enter your name and leave your exact Show and Tell blog post link, not just your blog link and as a common courtesy link back to my blog.

Edit: sorry this didn't go up at 6pm PT on Thursday as planned! I was out and i thought it I hit publish but I guess I didn't!

[signature.gif]

24 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for hosting and sharing.I brought my ever dependable No Bake Chocolate Cookie. Have a great weekend. http://kocinadepinay.com

SwedishCorner ~ DownUnder...Pernilla said...

Thanks for the party, Cindy! The zucchini boats look very yummy :) Have a happy weekend! Greetings from Australia♥ ~Pernilla

MONSIEUR LE CHAT ET MOI said...

Thank you Cindy for this recipe and sure I'm going to realize it : it suits me because I'm vegan, it's just for me !

xoxo from PARIS/FRANCE

Joëlle

Katherines Corner said...

We eat a lot of zucchini this looks delish! thank you for the party my friend xo

Uniquely Undone said...

Thank you for hosting!! I'm glad I found your blog!! Newest follower!

Kate @ Uniquely Undone

Anonymous said...

This is just ... in my taste - easy and quick .. maybe with a nice piece of salmon to go with it.
What a beautiful world you have here, want to stay for the rest of the day.

Laurel Stephens said...

Your zucchini boats sound delish! Thank you for hosting your party today, and have a great weekend.

Curtains in My Tree said...

I turned down some fresh garden zucchini and now wish I had it,I'll get some at the farmers market tomorrow morning and try this I need to eat more things like this than how I have been eating

Unknown said...

This recipe a keeper! thanks for sharing and hosting!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Great party Cindy, thank you very much for hosting. Enjoy your last days of summer weekend.
FABBY

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh....I love the zucchini boats too. Thanks!
Fabby

nancy@skinnykitchen said...

Great party Cindy...Thanks for hosting!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Just became your follower, hope you want to follow back too. Thank you.
Fabby

Sarah said...

Cindy, thanks for sharing this idea. A friend gives us fresh zucchini from her garden so this will be another way to serve it.

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Thanks for hosting and for sharing you delish dish, Cindy! Wishing you a pretty weekend. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Unknown said...

The zuchinni looks wonderful! Thanks for hosting!

Unknown said...

I love cooking with zucchini! We've been enjoying it in bread and pasta salad!

Sara Chapman said...

Cindy, I LOVE this recipe. If only hubby liked zucchini! You did a great job in showing how to do it. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for hosting a great party. Please stop by and share on our Brag About It Tuesday Party. Have a great day!

~~ Thanks, Sharon & Denise

Shell said...

The zucchini recipe looks delish. Always on the lookout for new ideas to try for my family.

Karen said...

Hi Cindy,
What a yummy looking recipe. Thanks for hosting. Have a wonderful weekend. Take care,
Karen

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Cindy. That looks so good..Thanks for hosting..Happy Weekend..Judy

WendyBee said...

Okay, I often don't read cooking posts, but this one drew me in, and your first pic now has the honor of being my first food pic that I have pinned on Pinterest! Sometime this week I'll be trying this, quite possibly on the grill.

Maria said...

Yum! This looks so good. What a great way to use all those garden zucchinis everyone is trying to get rid of. :)