Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Brrrr it's cold outside!

Pin It Now!

It's been really cold here in Northern California this past week! I know some of you will laugh at what we call cold but there have been days where it doesn't get out of the 40s and that is COLD for us! 

There is snow in the hills all around us and it's so pretty!  They say the snow level will get really low, down to 500 ft elevation Friday night/Saturday morning! I'm so hopping we get snow in the valley! It snowed here when I was a baby and then again when I was 15 and that's the only time we've actually had snow on the ground here! It will be exciting if we get it again! A couple weeks ago it was in the mid 70s!!!  I think this has been a bizarre winter for most of us! Right?

Last Sunday I went hiking (my 6th week in a row) and we came upon this stream but no bridge!  Some of the group walked across large mossy rocks to get to the other side, another person walked across a large log but I decided to take my shoes and socks off and walk through the water.  Did I mention there was snow up in this area? The water was so cold but I knew I would be less likely to fall in if I did it my way and luckily I made it across...my feet were numb but after hiking for a few minutes they warmed up again.  Luckily we only had about another 1.5 miles left on our 10 mile hike!  Someone may or may not have fallen in...he asked that I don't blog about that! LOL

I'm so addicted to hiking now! I feel like I'm living for the weekends so I can go again. It feels so good to physically push myself!  Don't worry, I won't be blogging about hiking all the time here...I'm actually thinking of starting another blog just for that so I can keep track of how many miles of hiked and where I've been. I'll let you know, in case you are interested.

**********

I would like to thank Priya at Once Upon a Tea Time - Design Stories for her post she did on me!


[signature.gif]

25 comments:

Amy Chalmers said...

Good for you for keeping it up and starting to love it. I would never have taken off my socks as I hate to freeze and would have taken my chances of falling in!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous pic :) If you do start another blog about hiking, let me know! I know what you mean...it has been cold here in Northern Cali, I'm sure the rest of these lovely ladies who live elsewhere just laugh at us because of our perception of having this "cold" weather hehehe. Have a fabulous day my dear:) Xoxoxo

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

You should be so proud of yourself for finding something you love and sticking to it. Blog all you want about hiking. I, for one, look forward to it!

Unknown said...

wow an outstanding picture! it is very cold here in Massachusetts- sorry to hear it is so cold there too...

Karen

Joyce - Quilted Nest said...

an absolutely beautiful photo!

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Your beautiful picture from your hike took my breath away.

Dee

Allison said...

Good for you for hiking on the weekend. I love to hike...not only for the great exercise but to get and see nature and the beautiful outdoors. That looks like a pretty hike you went on. I'm in No. CA and yes, it has been cold! This morning it was 34 degrees when I got up. I know many others have much colder temps but it's cold for here!

Bella @ Bella before and after said...

Cindy, even your outside life sounds romantic. I wish I lived with you, and was your daughter or something, he he. That creek looks so beautiful, and I can imagine what a delight to be hiking near it.

The weather has indeed been really odd this winter.

Hugs,

Bella :)

lvroftiques said...

The weather has been crazy! And I'd be hiking too if it wasn't so darn cold right now. It's a wonderful thing to be addicted to *winks* Vanna

......Michele @ Portlandia Vintage said...

I enjoyed reading about your hike. And, I can imagine you with all of your spunk being one to take off her shoes and take on the stream! Actually, in my experience hiking and crossing streams sometimes walking barefoot to the other side is the safest way across.

Andrea at Opulent Cottage said...

You go girl! I enjoy reading about your events while I'm counting down to 50 . . . you make it seem like a breeze! Thanks for the inspiration. I would totally read about a hiking blog, even though there's not alot here in Dallas. It's great to see someone else's beautiful photos!

Elsie said...

Cindy I know what you mean about getting snow every once in a long
while. Being in the South we don't
get it very often either. Beautiful pics of the hills. I am so glad you are still hiking and yes I would read your other blog too. What ever happened to global
warming??????

Sunny Simple Life said...

No kidding about the cold weather. We were in Cambria over the weekend and could see snow atop the hills across the valley. Never saw that before.

Bohemian said...

Oh what a beautiful shot of the natural beauty of your area... no wonder you're thoroughly enjoying your hikes! I would certainly enjoy virtually going along with you on your hikes as you share the experience in the Land Of Blog...

Dawn... The Bohemian

Martha said...

Cold is relative! Here on the prairie, 40 is often shirt sleeve weather!!! It just depends on what you're used to!

Gilda - Sweet Sweet Home said...

I also love walking in the woods, I love being in touch with nature. But I would not have dared to enter the water this season.Brrrrr!!! Hugs Gilda

Jodie said...

What a beautiful spot, reminds me of hiking in the Olympic National Forest in Washington State. I think that was one of the most beautiful places I've been. It looked similar with lots of moss, ferns and waterfalls. We have a chance for more snow tomorrow here in Kansas. Waiting impatiently for spring!

Sarah said...

Hiking in beautiful California has to be a treat. Enjoy!

very merry vintage style said...

I have California envy... How great that you have found something new that you love so much! That's what life is all about--enjoy!
Mary

Kristen @ Just Live Simply said...

It's been cold in Cali too!...50s...brrrrr! I wish I had the amazing hiking trails that you have, sounds amazing. Would love to see more photos of your hiking adventures!

Martha Stewart Bedding said...

Cold? :D It's been -30 celsius here where I live for weeks now. What did I think moving up here?

Victoria said...

That's a wonderful hobby and so good for you too, both physically and mentally! I think starting a hiking blog is a great idea, I would definitely follow it:)

It's been chilly here in So Cal also, we're expecting rain tomorrow and Saturday but I'm loving it!

laxsupermom said...

I can't stop giggling. My father called the other day and said how cold it's been in Atlanta (40's.) I said, "it was negative 5 when I sent SB to the busstop this morning."

Beautiful picture! Makes me want to get out and hike. Except it's still cross country skiing on the trails. Thanks for sharing.

Lindy said...

I may be cold but it's also beautiful!

Unknown said...

Fabulous blog, Im yet to join a linky party a lot still to learn. Great photos thanks for sharing :)